Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Kobe Bryant and the Lakers : 2010 NBA Champions

Congrats to Kobe Bryant and the Lakers for winning the 2010 NBA Championship. As a sports fan, I couldn't have asked for a better series between the Celtics and Lakers. Many people ask me, how are you a Lakers fan? My response is always, "I'm not a Laker fan, I'm a Kobe fan."  The Golden State Warriors will always be my favorite team.  Another reason I rooted for the Lakers is I am not a huge Celtic fan. I really dislike Garnett, Pierce and "Big Baby" Davis for my own reasons.  Although much respect to Jesus Shuttlesworth (Ray Allen) and Rondo.  

I watch sports purely for entertainment, therefore I enjoy entertainers. Kobe Bryant is an entertainer. Just like Barry Bonds and his "steroid issue", Tiger Woods with his "cheating problems," I could care less of anything they do outside the game. As long as I find them entertaining, I am a fan. Kobe is the best player currently in the NBA when it comes down to the final minutes. Something about that feeling you get when the Lakers are close with a few minutes left, and all eyes are on Kobe. Time after time he delivers. Something I really have yet to witness with Lebron James. Many people here on the west really dislike Kobe and the Lakers.  It was a great year for them. And I will admit, as well as Kobe did, he couldn't have won it without his supporting cast, especially Pau Gasol.  Mr. Clutch Derek Fisher isn't too shabby in the closing minutes as well. And how bout Ron Artest delivering that huge three in game 7. I think everyone in the world thought he would miss, let alone ever guess Kobe would give up the ball to him.


A topic that has been surfacing lately is the argument between Kobe Bryant and Michael Jorodan for greatest NBA player of all time.


My take on this is short and simple. It's not as an outrageous argument as some analyst make it out to be, but when it comes down to it, Michael Jordan is the greatest player to have played the game and will be in my lifetime. With that said, I would classify Kobe 2nd, 3rd or 4th. There is some indescribable feeling about Jordan that he brought to games and the playoffs, that I just don't get with Kobe. Yes I get some spurts of it in Kobe, just not on the same scale as Jordan. Kobe may win more rings and MVPs than Jordan, but that is just a small part of the argument. Jordan being surrounded by Pippen, Kerr, Rodman and Kukoc also doesn't help Kobe either. What a legendary Chicago Bulls team.

There you have it. Kobe Bryant, you are a legend and a phenomenal player. You have done enormous things for the game of basketball, you are a hero among kids and thousands of over-sea sport fans. The fact that you are fluent in Italian also adds some liking to you. Keep killin it, see you for the three-peat.



Maybe you can one day play for the Warriors so I don't need to tag Laker promos all over my blog, that would be great. On a side-related note, Warriors just released their new logo. Check it.


No comments:

Post a Comment