Well 2 weeks today since I arrived in Sydney...seems pretty long ago actually. The weather has not met my expectations yet but I know the best is yet to come.
I've already had my share of memories, like watchin the Goonies at the hostel with a bunch of foreigners, trivia night at the bar with the paper airplane competition, and the great pub crawl. I think its a great sign of what is to come as my travel and adventures continue.
Some observations/points I'de like to make:
- a disgusting amount of people smoke here...pretty annoyin walkin down the streets and constant cig smoke
- found out its an offence to touch baked good(donuts, pastries) without using the provided utensil
- items are expensive here.....6 pack of Beer - 15 dollars, Kit Kat and other assorted candy bars - 2 dollars or more.
- i've been to one beach, and and it was a damn good one
- seen only 1 big spider, not sure if poisonous
- need to go bush soon and see the outback as living in the city doesnt give me the aussie vibe im looking for yet
- adjusting to the time difference/jet lag was not a problem at all for me
- a netbook computer is one of the best travel companions
- microfiber towel and a good toiletry travel bag is essential for a pleasant backpacking experience
- ear plugs are needed to block out the annoying/snoring/foreign people talking in your 10 bed dorm room
- ipod with some great rock playlists make walking around the city a good time
- i walk an average of 3-4 miles a day...guaranteed.
- meeting people from all over the world is one of the most intersting things
- dont trust the system in the hostel where you think people will not steal your food.
Thats about it...getting a job is officially at the top of my To Do list...hopin to get some solid work by the end of the week.
I'm stayin at a pretty good hostel right now...great proximity to all the happs around the sydney...the only problem is that there seems to be an influx of French in the hostel. And as Harry Dunn would say, " I don't know Lloyd, the French are assholes"